Monday, March 5, 2012

Empowerment Birthday Party- Leaving My Mark On Women's History



So this is my very 1st blog post! I'm new to the blogging arena so thanks for stopping by for a little empowerment.  I recently founded Empower Her, Inc. in October 2011! I am waiting on my official nonprofit status...which should be coming very soon! One of my visions for Empower Her, Inc. is to provide empowerment parties/celebrations.  As the co-founder and director of programs for G.E.M.S. and Jewels Empowerment Group for Girls I realize that girls and women especially face so many challenges and empowering them is so important. I also wanted to combine my passion for event design/planning and the programs that we provide for girls and offer empowerment parties and celebrations for women and girls.  I did my first empowerment party for my daughter's 8th birthday party in December 2011.  She loved taking my iphone and creating web shows of herself doing different things and also loves the icarly webshow so I came up with an iKennedy theme party, in which she and her friends were able to create their own web show during the party. She really enjoyed having her very own show and being the director! The girls and boys that attended had a blast!  Check out her party here by clicking on the video link!

So when my birthday rolled around in March which is Women's History Month, my favorite time of the year, I decided to incorporate a theme that would include honoring amazing women in history.  I also realized that through what we have done with G.E.M.S. and Jewels empowering girls and my vision with Empower Her, Inc. I too would be making my mark on women's history!  Women have contributed so much to women's history and until I took a women's studies class in college, I never knew that a whole month was dedicated to us! So the idea was born and I called up my dear friend, Elisha Akram the creative vision behind Kustom Kreation Photography & Celebration Decor and told her about my ideas and she came up with the amazing concept to put my face amongst phenomenal women both past and present in the picture below. At first when she sent me the design I had a hard time seeing my face right next to Oprah Winfrey's beautiful face.




 For so long I have struggled with self esteem and believing in myself so to see that image made me feel like I was not worthy of being next to these great women.  After a long conversation with Elisha I realized that I needed to embrace where I was and where I would be going.  I was no different than any of these women! I was blown away by the amazing items that she came up with and it truly brought my vision to reality!  I also contacted a beautiful young woman, Julene Fleurmond creator of Dreamfleur.com who writes beautiful poetry and designs lovely products that are so inspiring. She provided a wonderful poem that inspires all women to make history and reach for their dreams! Powerful women that are also making a huge difference in this world!

Poem Created by Julene Fleurmond


I had a few family members over for my birthday and really wanted to thank everyone for supporting me over the years and to ask for prayers and birthday wishes for my many dreams. It is so hard pursing your dreams especially as a mom, wife, full-time employee and woman.  The gathering turned out so beautiful and after it was done I realized that I had completed my second empowerment party!! I really would like to offer a creative spin to the traditional birthday parties and celebrations that are out there and have a real message behind them! So cheers to my birthday, the wonderful things to come and to women who have paved the way for me to make a difference.

I am reminded of this great poem by a powerful pioneer in women's history that talks about dreams and that we all can make a powerful difference..we just have to jump out there and give it a try!

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars, to change the world" -Harriet Tubman

Here are some pictures from my Empowerment Birthday Party!



Beautiful custom items from Kustom Kreation Photography & Celebration Decor: http://kustomkreations4u.blogspot.com/

Beautiful custom photo collage from Kustom Kreation Photography & Celebration Decor: http://kustomkreations4u.blogspot.com/





Love Rosie Riveter..found this at a thrift store..right up my alley!

Sadie Mossell Tanner Alexander-1st African American Woman to Receive her PhD in the US!

Wishes from my family placed on my Wishing Tree!


Wishing Tree..Great Personalized Touch To Any Special Event!

Plan to keep all the birthday wishes and notes of encouragement on my desk as reminders and support!

Beautiful Poem Written By: Julene Fleurmond! A young woman that will make history! http://dreamfleur.com/about-julene/





Event Details:
Event Planning/Design/Photography -Kara Norman, Empower Her Inc & Events By Kara

Event Decor: Kara Norman and Kustom Kreation Photography & Celebration Decor

Women's History Poem: Julene Fleurmond - Dreamfleur.com   






4 comments:

  1. Kara, You are amazing! And you are going to do MORE amazing things! I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, keep up the wonderful work!! Amazing--YOU ARE Amazing and you are a gift to the world!

      Delete
  2. K-BEAR!! You prove over and over how wonderful, thoughtful and EMPOWERED YOU are! We are all lucky to know and love you! Happy, Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on various subjects. And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous article on event staffing I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and yes you got it.

    ReplyDelete