Thursday, March 15, 2012

Empower Her, Inc....My Dream Has Come True!



Super duper thrilled to receive the news that I have received my official 501(c) 3 status!!!So as many of you know I have had a dream to empower women and girls for the last 10 years.  Working with G.E.M.S and Jewels Empowerment group fulfilled a big part of my dream, but I always had a desire to empower women as well especially when it comes to their dreams.  I remember volunteering at a resource center for women in Virginia about 7 years ago and when we decided to move back to Atlanta, I contacted the non-profit director and told her how much I enjoyed volunteering there and asked her if she had ever considered having a center in Atlanta. The lady practically laughed in my face when I told her I didn't have my degree (that was the first question out of her mouth when she found out I was 'only' a volunteer).  My spirit was crushed that day as I had dropped out of college and gotten married and had a family and all I had was a passion to help women/girls.  So we returned to Atlanta and I enrolled back in school and finished my degree with a BS in Psychology and a concentration in women's studies. I graduated with honors while juggling family life. 

Me and My Girls After My Graduation in 2007 :-)

While in school I volunteered at the Atlanta Women's Foundation and found out that there were  organizations and funds out there for people who wanted to work with women and girls. It was the first time I realized what philanthropy meant. I was able to learn about women philanthropist (hope I will be one as well) who donated millions to causes for women and girls and about grants and resources. I was blown away!!!

I got a job after finishing school in recruiting and that is where I connected with the founder of G.E.M.S. & Jewels, Adriane Simmons. She had a passion for working with girls and I had a dream to help women with their dreams. It turned out that in helping her I realized that I too had a desires to help girls not go through the same things that I went through with low self esteem and other issues. We have been running the community based program for 5 years now and it has been so rewarding. 


G.E.M.S. & Jewels 5 Year Kickoff Celebration 2011

It didn't hit me until early last year that my desires to work with women were still there and I had an added passion with planning and designing events that would uplift and inspire.  I decided in the fall of 2011 after being the event planner at Kim Thomas' (founder of Afro Puffs & Pony Tails) 1st Professional Leaders of Women & Girls Conference that I wanted to do more and combine my many passions into one organization that I hoped would become my own 'empowerment center' (forget you lady in Virginia :-)! I was fortunate enough to cross paths with Vanessa Parker of Pink Boss and decided to use her business services to form my non-profit. Vanessa was amazing she took my vision and completed all of the paperwork within a matter of weeks!  I got the 1st draft on Christmas Eve and was in tears as that was the best present ever, having it on paper! I mailed my application the day after Martin Luther King's birthday, which was symbolic to me as this was always my dream to make a difference. 

Today I posted on facebook about how everyday since that day I run to the mailbox checking to see if I got my status. Shortly after posting I get a post by Camille Allen (another fabulous woman doing big things) that maybe I should call and see if it had been approved. So I picked up the phone and called. My hands were shaking as the IRS representative said...."Mrs. Norman, Empower Her, Inc. was granted tax exempt status two days ago, March 13th, 2012 (which is also VERY symbolic as March is WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH..my favorite month...making history for sure!) and the official letter went out in the mail yesterday."  I almost screamed in my cubicle but instead ran outside in tears!!! I called and texted my hubby, my family and friends who have supported me on this journey.

My friend who has been so instrumental in helping me walk in my new event design/planner passion, Elisha Akram of Kustom Kreation & Photography happened to be in the area and dropped me off a celebratory cupcake from Gigi's Cupcakes with a star on it (I was told years ago that God would turn my scars into STARS) to celebrate this special day! Once again I was in tears..Thank you Elisha!!

Celebration Cupcake from my friend Elisha!!


I came home and shared the news with my daughters and they were so happy.  My youngest daughter who is 8 ran to her bookbag and pulled out a mini report she had done on a woman in history that she thought was just like her mommy and shared the same dreams! What a coincidence that she did this the same day I got the news!

I had to record her sharing how Abigal Adams and her mommy rock..check her out below!! !



Empower Her, Inc..is about helping women like myself and girls like my daughters to celebrate and live an empowered life everyday
Thank you to everyone who has supported me in my dreams, this is only the beginning, I am so excited!! Please keep me, my family and my dreams in your prayers!! With God all things are possible!!

Hugs,


Kara
http://www.empowerherinc.com/

5 comments:

  1. This is truly a blessing and God Sent! Congratulations to you Kara! So very happy and glad to be apart of your journey...in making history! Much continued success in all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooooo much!! My cupcake with a star just added so much to my moment Elisha!!

      Delete
  2. Kara you are so deserving of all the many blessings that are coming your way! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your wonderful journey and I know there are many more great things in store for you. I value your friendship and treasure your beautiful and bright dreams for making the world a better place for women and girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim we connected at the very beginning 5 years ago..when A&P and my dreams were tiny baby visions..now we are growing up girl. Thanks so much for being my cheerleader along the way!!!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Kara. I am so proud of you for not giving up when that woman laughed at your lack of degree. You are a great role model for young women.

    ReplyDelete