Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Barbie Project



So excited to announce that I was invited to be a part of a new initiative called " The Barbie Project" which is launching this month! Growing up I have many memories of playing with my Barbies, picking out the perfect outfits for my dolls, styling my Barbies and taking them on amazing imaginary adventures! As a mom of two daughters ages 10 and 15 (19 days until she is 16...sniff..sniff..so not ready) Barbie has been a big part of my family.  In December my youngest daughter, Kennedy, turned 10. As you all know empowerment of women (especially moms) and girls are what fuels my passion and my non-profit. I love a good party and any chance to empower our next generation of women and girls!  Ms. Kennedy came up with a theme for her party based on the "I Can Be" Barbie line of dolls.



I so love this line of dolls that focuses on careers like doctors, computer engineers, presidents, veterinarians, teachers, artist, and designers.  She thought it would be cool for her friends to come dressed up as who they want to be when they grow up. My daughters are my 'why' and have fueled  my journey to empower girls and women over the last 7 years.  Hearing her ideas for her party made my heart melt, hopefully I am doing something right!  I took her idea and ran with it and it turned out amazing!




My daughter wants to be a scientist/actress when she grows up! Check out Ms. Kennedy in her lab coat ready for her party!




We had future authors, camp counselors, singers, artist, mechanical engineers and several doctors in attendance. Guest were invited to share more details about their dreams and career aspirations during the party.


Since Kennedy loves science we had a special guest come and do a robotics demonstration and all the girls and boys got to team up with a partner and build their own robots.  At the end of the party the robots faced off during a sumo challenge. Proud to say that in the final round the robot built by one of the girl's teams beat the boy's robot!!



 
I am ALWAYS looking for any way to help raise strong and confident girls.  I am truly honored to be a part of this new project that will help moms and daughters explore how to use playtime and imagination in new empowerment ways.  It's only been a few weeks since we have engaged in the project but it has already opened up many new avenues.  I am usually always busy doing mommy things when Kennedy is in her own world playing with her toys.  Since the project launch I have found myself more curious about what goes on in her world. I have actually been amazed to see the creative ways she plays with her Barbies.  She recently got the President Barbie doll and held a campaign with her Barbies!

I really loved the message on the back of the box which we put up in her room.  I reminded Kennedy that until recently we had never had an African American president and now we have one!   We also discussed that their have been no female presidents and this Barbie shows that anything is possible! 
I was also really surprised and happy to see this new song that Barbie released recently which focuses on girl empowerment and the fact that anything is possible for our daughters! I am really honored and excited to see what comes out of this amazing project and hope that my journey over the next six months with my daughters will be filled with fun, creativity, imagination, self discovery, and empowerment!

Check out Barbie's new girl power song, "Anything Is Possible" performed by Fifth Harmony Kennedy LOVES them!!!!! Be sure and share it with your daughters!



Click here to learn more about The Barbie Project! Be sure to follow our journey with this new project on our Empower Her, Inc. blog, social media channels:  Facebook, Twitter #BarbieProject, and Pinterest! To support or learn more about our non-profit organization and mission to empower women and girls visit our website www.empowerherinc.com!

6 comments:

  1. Coolest Party ever! How lucky she is! I also love the message that Barbie President gives kids! Be A Dreamer!!! Look forward to many more posts with your daughter and barbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea for a party! I may have to bring this up for the twins, their birthday is in July. It would be so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it really turned out amazing!!!! The kids got really into it! I'm all about parties with a purpose! Looking forward to sharing this journey with you and your daughter!

      Delete
  3. I've done the Barbie party... and apparently I didn't do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Yes I am always looking for a way to shake things up!

      Delete