Saturday, October 12, 2013

One Girl Can Change The World! ~ International Day Of The Girl 2013

Glossi.com - Girl Rising: Everyday Heroes

As International Day of Girl 2013 wraps up, I am in awe that on this special day, we were honored and celebrated as an everyday hero by Intel.  Let me back track for a quick moment and give a little history as to how this all came about! 

In March, I stumbled across a great film, Girl Rising, that focused on the power of education and it highlighted 9 amazing girls around the world that were overcoming extreme obstacles just to obtain a basic education, something that we take for granted in this country. At the time in order to see the film you had to find a screening in your area. On their website they gave steps to host your own screening. So I decided that I wanted to host a screening in downtown Atlanta the day after the film was released!  In order to secure the film you had to have a certain number of tickets reserved for the screening to 'tip'.  So we got busy trying to get these tickets sold! My youngest daughter, who is a big fan of the Kid President, came up with an idea to do a YouTube video to garner support!



Founder's Daughter's YouTube Girl Rising Campaign Video
 
Her video went viral and tickets started to be sold. I decided to post her video on the film's facebook page. They Loved It!


Message received via Facebook by the Girl Rising 10 x 10 team!
 
 
My daughter and I were so thrilled, and worked even harder to make sure we could bring the screening to our community! Thankfully our screening tipped and we were able to work with another captain and bring the film to Atlanta! We even had Sara Blakely the founder of Spanx in attendance! I was fortunate enough to connect with a wonderful woman that worked with a local Intel Office and she was able to get sponsorship through her local office to host a pre-screening party (thanks Karen)! It was amazing! See more pictures by clicking >> HERE .
 
 
 
The event was absolutely amazing and was everything that I wanted Empower Her, Inc. to provide. Fun empowerment events but with a purpose! A typical night out to see a movie, but not just any movie, a movie that creates social change!  The Girl Rising team also featured our screening and my daughter's efforts/videos in their blog!  See the post here: http://10x10act.org/2013/03/kennedy-rising-star/
 
 Fast forward to today! I was contacted last week by the Girl Rising team to let me know that Intel Corporation who is one of the sponsors of the film, was looking to highlight everyday women/girls who are making a difference on International Day of the Girl 2013. They immediately thought about my daughter asked permission to be submitted! I was blown away when we were contacted and selected to be featured!  Today the beautiful article was released on Intel's websites and networks that have over 22 million+ fans!  It was also shared by the Girl Rising Film as well.  So very honored!!! God is sooooo amazing, always working behind the scenes! Never lose faith!!!
 
 
Click Here To View Intel Article:
 
 
In reflecting on todays events, I realized that my daughter's one idea, lead to all of this.  One girl can make a difference! Through her actions, my dreams/vision to empower women and girls was shared with the world!  What a great way to wrap up this beautiful International Day of The Girl!  I am inspired by both my daughters and that is why I work so hard to make a difference. I encourage you all to continue to make a difference not just today, but everyday in the lives of those around you.  The beautiful thing about this film and this movement is that it shows the power of education and how ideas and action create change!
 
We are very excited about the things to come for our agency! Thrilled to launch a new series of programs starting next week,  Mom University, that seeks to educate and empower Moms, especially moms raising girls!  To learn more about our new program visit: www.tinyurl.com/ehmomuniversity
 
I close by wishing you all a Happy International Day of The Girl! Let's continue empowering one another and creating a better world everyday!
 
 
 
 
 
To support our mission please consider making a tax deductible donation by clicking HERE !  Empower Her, Inc. is a 501(c)3 organization based out of Atlanta, GA.
 
Visit our website for more information: www.empowerherinc.com
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment